Intelligent valve interlock system
The Netherlocks intelligent valve interlock product range combines the reliable characteristics of a mechanical safety solution with new electronic features in various process applications. It allows communication and proofing and improves efficiency and safety.
The Intelligent Valve Interlock System has distinctive features:
- It increases safety significantly by integrating operator procedures with DCS and SIS
- It provides live step by step information, guidance and a process overview during the whole procedure
- It makes operational sequences dynamic by integrating feedback from the DCS (pressure,temperature ect.) to authorize the next step.
Fundamental elements of the intelligent valve interlock system
The Intelligent Interlock System can be customized with various technologies and features, based on the following fundamental elements:
EKC (Electronic Key Cabinet)
- Electronically detects presence of each individual key
- Enables authorized release of keys
- Enables visual representation of the status of valves
ASLP (Actuator Switch Lock Panel)
- Linked directly to the control system of a MOV (Motor Operated Valve)
- Allows MOV to be remotely operated within a predefined sequence
ISI (Interlock System Information)
The ISI is a digital touch screen/tablet that provides live information on any of the above mentioned products.
- Linked to an Electronic Key Cabinet (EKC), it can produce an overview of missing keys
- It logs when keys are removed and can additionally provide detailed information on each key, such as system numbers or sequence drawings
- By logging removal and entry of keys, the ISI can also produce valve operation statistics.
- Linked to a Sequence Control Panel, it guides the operator through the sequence, displays what key needs to be inserted or removed and what the next action in the field should be.
Sequence Control Panels
A combination of products can be integrated in cabinets or panels, creating a customized (Intelligent) Interlock System. Mechanical key interlocks are still at the basis of the safety system in the field. The extra intelligence offered by the additional electronic systems offers more insight, guidance and control.
Apart from mechanically guaranteeing a strict adherence to procedure, Intelligent Interlocking allows other input signals, such as H2S or pressure levels, to be included in a predefined operating sequence. For instance, in pigging applications, the key to open the closure door is only released after the valves are operated in the correct sequence and the vessel pressure has reached a predefined level. Also, remotely authorizing the start of an operating sequence can easily be programmed. This way, the panel will only release the starting key after receiving an external authorization signal, for instance from the DCS or SIS.
MOV locked in sequence
The electronic controls of a MOV can be included in a Sequence Control Panel. This way, the MOV is integrated in a sequence with manually operated valves. The MOV can only be operated at the right moment. This means the MOV is locked without using traditional mechanical valve interlocks
Real time information
Sequence and valve status information on an ATEX certified screen or tablet provides clear understanding of the operating sequence. The screen visually guides operators through an operating sequence, offering them real-time information about required steps in a sequence, status of involved valves and particular valve locations.